CHAMONIX, France/AUBURN, Calif. USA/TAMPA, Fla. USA (Dec. 8, 2022) The Canyons Endurance Runs™ by UTMB® has been selected as the first ever UTMB World Series Major to be hosted in the Americas. Taking place from the 28-29 April 2023 in Auburn, California, the event gives all finishers additional opportunities to qualify for the UTMB World Series Finals held at the world’s biggest trail running event, UTMB Mont-Blanc. Registration is already open, here.
Three UTMB World Series Majors are held each year and these pinnacle events across the Americas, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region award double the amount of Running Stones to all finishers that can be used in the UTMB World Series Finals lottery.
In total 225 ultrarunners are also granted automatic qualification for the UTMB World Series Finals through each Major. This includes age-group category winners and the top 10 male and female runners in the 100M, 100K and 50K categories who gain automatic qualification to the respective UTMB (100M), CCC (100K) and OCC (50K) races at UTMB Mont-Blanc.
Adding even more appeal to runners, The Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB is also a Golden Ticket Race for the Western States Endurance Run (WSER), with the top two male and female finishers in each distance winning their place on the start line of the 2023 WSER. The race is also a qualifier for WSER 2024, with runners who complete the 100-mile distance in under 36 hours and the 100km in 20 hours qualifying for the WSER lottery.
Founder and Race Director for The Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB, Chaz Sheya said: “I am thrilled to share that The Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB is now the Americas Major. It is an honor to be one of three Majors in the UTMB World Series, with double Running Stones and many more entries to the World Finals in Chamonix! I am also excited to share the history of the Canyons and the Western States Trail, where modern-day mountain ultra trail running started. We look forward to putting on a great event next April in Auburn, California, the endurance capital of the world!”
The Canyons Endurance Runs by UTMB takes place in the historic gold-rush town of Auburn, California, an iconic destination in trail running considered the birthplace of mountain ultras in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. Runners in the 100-mile race will experience some of the most scenic and rugged sections of the Western States Trail, as they cover up to 7,300 meters (24,000 ft) of elevation gain, passing by the river crossing at Rucky Chucky then through the Canyons to visit infamous Devil’s Thumb and Swinging Bridge. All finishers will be awarded eight Running Stones for their extraordinary effort.
The 100K race, with over 4,800 meters (16,000ft) of elevation gain, will award six Running Stones, while those who complete the 50K race (1700m+ or 5,500ft) will earn four Running Stones. Finishers of the 25K distance, (853m+ or 2,800ft) will be rewarded with two Running Stones.
In terms of the other two UTMB World Series Majors, Val d’Aran by UTMB in the heart of the Spanish Pyrenees will be the continental European Major for the second time from the 5-9 July 2023. The event will celebrate its third edition in 2023, turning the Val d’Aran valley and its peaks of over 2,000 meters (6,500 ft) into the epicentre of trail running.
For the second consecutive year, Doi Inthanon Thailand by UTMB will be the Asia-Pacific Major. Taking place in the Chiang Mai province in northern Thailand from the 8-10 December 2023, the event takes runners to the summit of the highest mountain in the country, Doi Inthanon. The 2022 edition is taking place this weekend, the 8-11 December, with over 5,400 runners representing 64 nationalities ready to toe the start line on their journey to UTMB Mont-Blanc and the UTMB World Series Finals.
UTMB Mont-Blanc is the pinnacle event of the trail running year. 2023 is set to be an historic edition as it celebrates not only its 20th anniversary, but also its first as host to the UTMB World Series Finals in the UTMB, CCC, and OCC races, taking runners on an extraordinary journey through the trails of the Mont Blanc region between France, Italy and Switzerland.
To date there are 32 events across six continents currently confirmed for the 2023 UTMB World Series, with the full calendar to be revealed before the end of the year. Runners can choose their 2023 UTMB adventure here.
UTMB World Series 2023 confirmed events (as of 8 December 2022)
- Tarawera Ultramarathon® by UTMB® (New Zealand), 11-12 February
- Amazean Jungle Thailand by UTMB (Thailand), 17-19 February
- Istria 100™ by UTMB® (Croatia), 13-16 April
- AMERICAN MAJOR: The Canyons Endurance Runs™ by UTMB® (USA), 28-29 April
- Transvulcania by UTMB® (Spain), 4-6 May
- Ultra-Trail Australia™ by UTMB® (Australia), 11-14 May
- Ultra-Trail Snowdonia by UTMB® (Wales), 12-14 May
- Valhöll Argentina by UTMB® (Argentina), 12-14 May
- Trail Alsace Grand Est by UTMB® (France), 18-21 May
- Mountain Ultra-Trail™ by UTMB® (South Africa), 26-28 May
- Trail du Saint-Jacques by UTMB® (France), 3-4 June
- mozart 100™ by UTMB® (Austria), 17-18 June
- La Sportiva® Lavaredo Ultra-Trail® by UTMB® (Italy), 22-25 June
- Trail 100 Andorra™ by UTMB® (Andorra), 24-25 June
- Western States® 100-Mile Endurance Run (USA), 24-25 June
- EUROPEAN MAJOR: Val d’Aran by UTMB® (Spain), 6-9 July
- Restonica Trail by UTMB® (France), 6-8 July
- Trail Verbier Saint-Bernard by UTMB® (Switzerland), 7-9 July
- Eiger Ultra Trail by UTMB® (Switzerland), 12-16 July
- Speedgoat™ Mountain Races by UTMB® (USA), 21-22 July
- KAT100™ by UTMB® (Austria), 3-5 August
- UTMB® WORLD SERIES FINALS: UTMB® Mont-Blanc (France, Italy, Switzerland), 28 August – 3 September
- Wildstrubel by UTMB® (Switzerland), 14-17 September
- Paraty Brazil by UTMB® (Brazil), 22-24 September
- Julian Alps Trail Run by UTMB® (Slovenia), September
- Nice Côte d’Azur by UTMB® (France), 28 September - 1 October
- TransJeju by UTMB® (South Korea), 7-8 October
- Puerto Vallarta México by UTMB® (Mexico), 3-4 November
- Kullamannen™ by UTMB® (Sweden), 3-4 November
- TransLantau™ by UTMB® (Hong Kong), November
- ASIA-PACIFIC MAJOR: Doi Inthanon Thailand by UTMB® (Thailand), 8-10 December
- Ultra-Trail Kosciuszko™ by UTMB® (Australia), December
UTMB® World Series
UTMB® World Series is the world’s ultimate trail-running circuit that unites the sport’s biggest stars and passionate runners through the best, leading international events in the most stunning locations. Built on a passion for the mountains with sustainability at its heart, UTMB® World Series gives all trail runners the chance to experience the UTMB® adventure across the world, with events taking place across Asia, Oceania, Europe, Africa and the Americas. It is the only place where runners can begin their quest to UTMB® Mont-Blanc, France, where the prestigious UTMB® World Series Finals will be held. For more information, visit www.utmb.world.